Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Cheating on Maui



It's a new year and a new adventure waiting for us! Next month, we are using our miles and points to visit the island of Kauai in Hawaii. This island hasn't really been on my radar. In order to even write this post I had to google Kauai to make sure I was spelling it right.

My favorite place to go in Hawaii is Maui. (Sorry Kawai..Kuai...Kuaui...Kauai)

I especially like staying at the various posh resorts in Wailea with Austin. The perfectly manicured landscaping and rich, tan, retired people jogging around give this part of Maui a definite air of paradise. Someday we too could be old, sun-wrinkled, and supremely happy...something to aspire to, right?

In Wailea, for one week, we live the good life. We sleep in the plushest of beds, swim (or read books, in my case) at the loveliest of beaches, eat the most gourmet of breakfasts, and view the most stunning sunsets. And usually for free with points! For suppers, we'll drive into town and mingle with the lowly plebeians of the more down-to-earth Kihei, before retreating back to our citadel of poshness. We've got a good thing going, and I'm not quite sure if we should be turning our backs on Maui to give Kauai a try.

Who knows though? Maybe it'll become our new favorite. I'm going to the library today to get some guidebooks and see what awaits us.

Despite my uncertainty, it's a done deal by this point. We'll be in Hawaii over a busy weekend for travel, Valentine's Day, so it was much easier to use our points to book a place on the less-frequented island of Kauai. However, with weather in the teens and everything coated in icy snow, the thought of going to Hawaii, even if it's the question mark island of Kauai, is giving me the strength to get through the winter. Good-bye Maui, we'll come back to you eventually!

0 comments:

Post a Comment