Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Making the Cut


It's a good thing there's no weight limit for carry-on luggage, otherwise I would always be over. My bag is always stuffed with books! Yes, I know about the wonders of modern devices. I do bring my Nook with ebooks on it, but then I always find lots of interesting books from the library that I want to bring, so I end up lugging pounds and pounds of paper around with me.

Writing about carry-on luggage reminds me of our trip to Yosemite in 2012. I brought a duffel bag with some camping gear in it, and was sitting at the gate doing--what else--reading. I was startled when a gate agent came over. "I'll need to take your bag and see if it fits in the sizer," she said.

Maybe she was bored? I had never been asked this before, (or since). I have issues with petty bureaucrats, their love of power, and their penchant for wielding it in inane ways, so I wasn't too thrilled. (Although I do recognize that it was fully within the scope of her job to measure my luggage.) I'm just saying, I wan't happy. I coolly acquiesced, going back to my book. Ha! See, I'm so confident about my luggage fitting that I won't even watch you measure it! (Me internally: Yikes, I hope it fits!) Fortunately, while my duffel bag looks large, it's never stuffed all the way full.

When the agent got back I casually glanced up. "Did it fit?" "Yes, it was fine," she curtly replied. Ha ha! Knew it! Good thing I didn't bring too many books on that trip. Sharing a tiny tent with a whiny husband doesn't lend itself to staying up late reading.

Unlike Yosemite, on this upcoming trip to Kauai I plan on doing lots of reading. This is my initial vacation reads list; I just have to see if my library holds are ready by the time we leave.

The Big Year -by Mark Obmascik
Their Fractured Light  -by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Something by Georgette Heyer (I have most of her books on my nook).
Something by Alexander McCall Smith (I'll see what the library has when the trip's closer).
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry -by Rachel Joyce
Something Terry Pratchett (I'll see what the library has when the trip's closer).
Come, Tell Me How You Live. -Agatha Christie
Midnight Riot -by Ben Aaronovitch
Cinder -by Marissa Meyer


Hopefully that will be enough to get me through the week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment